Sunday, May 27, 2007

Nothing like a Never Nude

Although it is still technically Spring, summer weather has hit Prague with a vengeance. (I say this now, and in the middle of the week it will be cool again) It seems like with the coming of the warmer weather, the unofficial dress code here changes drastically. The heat hits, and the clothes come off. I have never before in my life seen so many low cut tops and short shorts & skirts (outside of a nightclub) before. And these sightings have been during working hours--and even in some businesses! Friday when I was waiting for my tram at I.P. Pavlova, I saw a woman wearing a crocheted top. Normally, this would be a non-event, but this top was more like a cover-up you would wear to the beach, not the office! Additionally, it seems like Czech women no longer feel the need to wear supportive undergarments while wearing gauzy white tops that leave nothing to the imagination.

It's not only the Czech women whose wardrobes have changed, Czech men have hopped on the bandwagon as well. In my previous post, I detailed the continuing story of our washer woes here in Prague 2. Thursday afternoon, a repairman came to "fix" our washer. More on that later. What surprised me so much that I had to have photographic evidence, was his outfit. Apparently, cutoff shorts are fair game here. I had in my kitchen living proof that nevernudes are not only present in fictional tv shows such as Arrested Development. They exist here in Prague too, only this nevernude forgot the rest of his outfit on Thursday! Compare these photos and judge for yourself:


Here is Tobias Funke of Arrested Development wearing his cutoffs. The narration for this situation/development in the series goes like this: "Tobias was a nevernude, which is exactly what it sounds like."



This is the washing machine repairman, and my landlady. Notice the socks with sandals, and the nevernude cutoffs. I think we have a worldwide phenomenon here.

No comments: