Sunday, March 4, 2007

And I'm Telling You . . .



My friend Sunny and I went to see the movie musical, "Dreamgirls" last night. It was wonderful. I had some doubts about it initially, but I wanted to see it, partially due to Jennifer Hudson's awards--to see if she lived up to the hype. OMG, it was so good! Everyone was phenomenal--Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx, Danny Glover, Jennifer Hudson, Anika Noni Rose, even Beyonce. I had my doubts about her, as I had only seen her in Austin Powers: Goldmember before. She blew me away--her transformation from the meek Deena at the start of the film to the Deena who stood up for herself at the end was great. I also really enjoyed the actor who played Effie's brother C.C., Keith Robinson. He was not only wonderful, he's gorgeous! Plus, any movie that can have both Urkel and Jim Halpert in it is wonderful in my book. ;)The music and choreography in this film is phenomenal. I want to see it again, so that I can pay more attention to it, especially the choreography. What a film.

When Jennifer Hudson sang "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," I cried. She has a phenomenal voice, and this was a standout performance. It reminded me, briefly, of one of my favorite movies, "Camp". It's also a musical (I'm sensing a theme here) set at a summer performing arts camp. Throughout the film, they stage different numbers from
Broadway shows, including the number "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" from "Dreamgirls." The difference in this film, though, is that the girl playing Effie is a 17 year old white girl wearing a huge beehive hairdo, and she's singing to an 8 year old boy. ;) Not exactly in the same vein as Jennifer Hudson's performance, but I enjoyed both. If you love musical theatre, you should check out "Camp".






1 comment:

Jan E. Mynařík said...

I saw Dreamgirls on Friday and I agree it's a great movie with very good acting! I was glad to see Danny Glover, I didn't know he had a part in it.